Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Let me introduce myself!

Personal Photo: Me!
Hi everyone, let me introduce myself, my name is Carla. I am in the ECP (Early Childhood Practice) program at National Louis University; this is my third year here.  For the last seventeen years I have owned and operated my own licensed home-based childcare (Angels in Training Child care) business.  Being a child care provider has allowed me to do what I love (teaching and caring for children).  Being the eldest daughter of 5 siblings (3 brothers and 1 sister), mother of 2 beautiful boys (Greg and Garrett) and working in various early childhood positions (infant/toddler teacher, summer camp asst. director, and teacher’s aide) provided me a great deal of experience in this field.   

Over the last seventeen years I have acquired my CDA certification (Child Development Associates), NAFCC (National Association for Family Child Care) accreditation and was awarded a Star Level Three from Illinois Action for Children.   I have served as a mentor for license-exempt providers for Illinois Action for Children and have been the vice president for Caring Providers Association for the last ten+ years.  By obtaining my CDA, accreditation, and star level three I have acquired the knowledge necessary to provide the highest quality of child care for the children I serve.   As a member and officer of a child care association, I am able to network with my peers, provide and receive training, and exchange resources pertaining to the field of child care.  My desire to be one of the best in my field (besides my own self-gratification) is what has led me to return to college (after 20+ years) to complete my degree.


Personal Photo: Me & Children at Universoul Circus.
Most of my days our filled with planning lesson plans, activities and field trips, preparing and serving meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks), and interacting with the children (reading, singing, dancing and arts and crafts).  My evenings consist of completing the required paperwork, attending my own college courses and completing homework.  Most of all, my days are filled with smiles and laughter and this definitely outweighs the workload.


Personal Photo: Me trucking.

Child care has fulfilled my professional aspirations but even an old girl like myself (50+ years old) has other loves and interests.  I love talking on the phone to my boys (both live in Florida), spending time on the open road with my truck driving man (Ralph), and entertaining friends and family.  I enjoy reading a good crime novel (especially any book by John Sandford), watching all the TV crime shows (CSI, Criminal Mind, and anything on ID), crocheting, and sewing.   Spending time with my church family (Maple Park U.M.C.) gives me great joy and fills my soul and spirit.
Personal Photo: Me & ATL. family.


Personal Photo: Me trucking 2.
                                                
     
Personal Photo: Me cutting a rug.
 Being a novice in the area of technology, I am intimidated but excited about all the information and knowledge that I hope to acquire from my TIE 300 course.  I expect my final years at National Louis University to be quite beneficial, educationally fulfilling and extremely busy.

Personal Photo: Family reunion.
Personal Photo: My baby, Ralph!





1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic introduction, Carla! You have already achieved a lot. I admire your desire to continue to learn, especially when you already have a successful business. I look forward to introducing you to many new tools.

    ReplyDelete